Get in the spirit of Fall with this Pumpkin and Sweet Potato Soup. This one is perfect for those cool evenings when you feel like wrapping yourself in a warm blanket and pulling long socks up to your knees! When you start to get those cravings for hearty dishes, why not try this yummy soup? Paired with toasted Ezekiel bread, it is simply de-lish.
- 2-3 sweet potatoes, sliced length-wise
- 1/3 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, cut into large chunks
- 1 bulb of garlic
- 1/2 tsp of rice bran oil*
- 1/2 cup of canned pumpkin puree
- 2-3 cups of low-sodium, low-fat chicken broth
- 2 tbsp of fresh lime juice
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Ground nutmeg
* If you can't find rice bran oil, olive oil will do
- Preheat oven to 350F. Prepare a large roasting pan by pouring the olive oil into it, letting it coat the bottom. Cut the sweet potato in half and place in the roasting pan. Using a sharp knife, cut the top of the garlic bulb off and drizzle with rice bran oil. Place in the roasting pan with the other vegetables. Bake for 40 minutes or until tender. Remove and let stand.
- Remove sweet potato from the pan and place in a large stock pot. Add the canned pumpkin, 2 cups of chicken stock and lime juice and bring to a boil. Add more chicken stock to make the soup less thick. Reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Using a hand blender, puree the soup until it is evenly smooth. Ladle into soup bowls and garnish with salt, pepper and ground nutmeg.
NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION PER SERVING
Calories from Fat: 143
Protein: 4 g
Carbohydrates: 29 g
Dietary Fiber: 4 g
Sugars: 5 g
Fat: 16 g
Sodium: 430 mg
Click HERE for a printable version.