Okay, okay, I know what you're thinking- Why would I want to eat a Chia Pet? The bigger question should be, why do we hear more about chia seeds marketed as a White Elephant gift than about the amazing food that they are?
Chia seeds are one of the most powerful, functional, and nutritious super foods in the world! The chia seed is an excellent source of fiber, packed with antioxidants, full of protein, loaded with vitamins and minerals, and the richest known plant source of omega-3. In reality, these healthful, edible seeds are a better source of omega-3 fatty acids than flaxseed (the fats protect against inflammation and heart disease).
Here are a few benefits of this wonderful seed:
• Energizing...For Greater Endurance! Due to its unique blend of protein, EFA's, fiber, complex carbs, and antioxidants, chia is untouchable among seeds and grains for providing energy to your body.
• Improves Cardiovascular Health...HIGH levels of heart-healthy EFAs (Essential Fatty Acids)... The oil in chia seeds contains the highest-known percentage of omega-3 alpha-linolenic acid, a whopping 62%–64%!
• Stabilizes Blood Sugar...Reduces blood sugar swings...and supports conditions of hypoglycemia and diabetes.
• Reduces Cravings for Sweets and Junk Foods—high soluble fiber content releases natural, unrefined carbohydrate energy slowly into the bloodstream.
• Improves Mental Focus and Concentration... Chia’s balanced EFA's can signficantly boost your brain power and brighten your mood.
• High-Quality Protein—Chia contains 20% or more protein...a higher percentage protein than found in other grains, such as wheat, corn, rice, or oats. Chia seeds are useful for the growth and regeneration of tissue during pregnancy and lactation or the regeneration of muscle tissue for athletes, weight lifters, etc. As a source of protein, the Chia, after ingestion, is digested and absorbed very easily. This results in rapid transport of nutrients to the tissue and faster utilization of this nutrition by the cells. This efficient assimilation makes the Chia very effective when rapid development of tissue takes place, primarily during growth periods of children and adolescents.
• Helps Builds Lean Muscle Mass...Plus it’s useful for weight loss and weight maintenance. Chia is suitable for all lifestyles and dietary regimens, including low-carb diets and vegetarian diets.
• Gluten-Free. Unlike grain-source proteins, chia seed protein contains no gluten. Chia is an ideal food for individuals with gluten sensitivity, carbohydrate intolerance, hypoglycemia, celiac disease, Crohn’s disease, or anyone who wants to avoid common gluten-containing grains like corn, barley, and wheat.
• An Ideal Food for nearly everyone, including individuals with food allergies, food sensitivities, or food and chemical hypersensitivity. One study found no evidence of allergic response to chia, even in individuals with peanut and tree nut allergies.
• Super-Hydration and Electrolyte Balance.... Chia’s soluble fiber (hydrophilic colloids) massively retains water which keeps you well-hydrated and maintains your electrolyte balance. If you mix a spoonful of Chia in a glass of water and leave it for approximately 30 minutes or so, the seeds and water will become an almost solid gelatin. This gel-forming reaction is due to the soluble fiber in the Chia. Researches have found that this same gel-forming phenomenon takes place in the stomach when food containing these gummy fibers, known as mucilages, are eaten. The gel when ingested, slows the conversion of carbohydrates into sugar. Chia seeds don't just give you a quick boost of energy, they provide long lasting energy that brings with it stamina and endurance.
• Supports Healthy Elimination and Detoxification—healthy oils and fiber contribute to greater regularity and comfort...beneficial effects not to be underestimated!
• Uniquely Balanced. Chia offers an amazingly balanced ratios of macronutrients...better balanced than most grains, seeds, and many other foods.
• Convenience. Among seeds and grains, chia is a nutritional marvel—an ideal superfood for anyone, especially for individuals “on-the-go”…who want a great source of EFA's that also provides more complete nutrition. It’s quick, convenient, and cost-effective!
• Built-In Antioxidant Protection... Chia’s powerful antioxidants protect its heart-healthy oils, keep it fresh, and significantly boost nutritional value. Even after you grind or cook it, the antioxidants in chia seeds are kept fresh!
• Vitamins and Minerals. Chia contains important micronutrients (including B-complex vitamins) all readily assimilated because chia is a whole food. Imagine that!
• Supports Intestinal Health. Chia’s super high levels of fiber also sweeps clean the digestive tract. A healthy gut is a very important thing to have and the chia seed can help you with that.
• Raw and Unprocessed...plus naturally full of health-building plant enzymes.
• Sustainably-Grown... Look for brands that have no pesticides, herbicides, chemical fertilizers, or Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs) used!
• Tasty, Fresh, and “Ready-To-Eat”!! Whether you eat the seeds right from the container, grind them, roast them, bake them, or drop them into your drinks or smoothies, these fresh seeds add texture and just taste great!