Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Workouts in Review: Low Impact Circuit


Okay, by now you all know that I am a HUGE fan of Cathe Friedrich! I actually started my workout journey with her original kickboxing workout, Cardio Kicks. Come to think of it that may be why I have a soft spot for kickboxing : )

I decided that I would review her discounted DVD each week as they go on sale. Cathe has never put her DVD's on sale because she hasn't had a need to. You are in luck though because she has decided to put one DVD on sale each week so that everyone has a chance to have her awesome workouts. This week Low Impact Circuit is on sale, yeah! Just enter the code FP-30 and get 30% off until December 6th, 2009!

What is it?

Low Impact Circuit is a 75-minute circuit workout. Here is the breakdown:

Warm-up 8 minutes
Circuit Cycle #1 17 minutes
Circuit Cycle #2 16 minutes
Circuit Cycle #3 16 minutes
Abs 8 minutes
Stretch 6 minutes
Bonus Cardio 9 minutes

Each Circuit Cycle has a step combo, step blast, lower body strength and upper body strength.

Who is it for?

This is an intermediate/advanced workout but it is low-impact which is great. There are days my knees bug me more than others so I cherish this workout on those days and more. You will need a standard step, a set of light dumbbells, a barbell with moderate weight and a medium-tension resistance band.

What to expect:

I love the choreography and the weight work that Cathe has in this workout. The cardio sections have great music and have fun choreography so you can just have fun and watch the time fly by. Next up are the blasts and the blasts are my favorite because they are high intensity but have little choreography. That means you can work extra hard but you don't have to think too hard at the same time. Just when you think the hard part is over, here comes the lower body strength section. Think squats, lunges and more! Next up, upper body. I LOVE working my upper body and Cathe gets it good in this workout. She even incorporates some into the lower body sections so you're working them both at the same time. Follow this up with some great abs and a stretch and you're done! Of course, if you're crazy you can do the bonus cardio and blast : ) Enjoy!

Nicole

8 comments:

Averie @ Averie Cooks said...

I have never even heard of Cathe Friedrich. I must live in the dark ages or the yoga world :) Glad you found someone who works for you and you adore!

Averie @ Averie Cooks said...

Ok girl the recipes you posted that showed up in my googlereader, was gonna comment on them but clearly you unposted them. So, just wanted to say the cookies are awesome looking. Ive made versions of things like that. And yeah, you can't go wrong with oats, agave, etc...
:)

Jennifer (Savor) said...

I am always in awe watching her workouts on TV

Jessica said...

I LOVE Cathe's workouts!! She kicks my butt!

Dawn (HealthySDLiving) said...

Thank you for the review, I'd love to give this video a try!

blessedmama said...

What a great idea to review workout DVDs. I have arthritis in my right knee, so it's good to know about low-impact workouts.

shannonmarie said...

I hope these reviews mean you are feeling better from your flu. I've been ill for a couple weeks and can't seem to shake it. I guess I need to cut back a bit for a while.

I wish I had time to invest in some new workout DVDs. With a 3 month old to take care of, it is much easier to do an old one from memory or pull something up quickly OnDemand. She loves watching me do the Bollywood workout. It makes her smile :-)

TheFitnessFreak said...

I'm glad you all like the review, it's a great workout! The bonus is that it's at a GREAT price : )

Yes Averie, I decided to do my workout review first after I had posted the recipes. Good news, they're up today : ) I tweaked the basic cookie recipe so I could have flax and oats in there, yum!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin