I had this great Eat-Clean Diet recipe in my inbox last week. I promptly made it for my family and they loved it! Barley has a wonderful chew to it. You could easily take the chicken out of this recipe, between the texture of the barley and the chunks of potatoes and carrots, you won't even miss it : )
Ingredients• 2 medium-sized boneless, skinless chicken breasts (approximately 1 lb), cubed
• 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
• 2 cloves of garlic, chopped finely
• 1 small onion, chopped finely
• 1 large potato, peeled and cubed
• 1 large carrot, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch coins
• 3 stalks of celery, chopped into 1/4-inch slices
• 1 large tomato, chopped into 1/2-inch chunks
• 1 tsp dried thyme
• 1 tsp dried celery seed
• 1/2 cup pearled barley
• 2 quarts low-sodium organic chicken stock
• 1/2 tsp sea salt
• 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- Place barley in bowl with just enough water to cover it.
- Heat olive oil on medium heat in an 8-quart stockpot.
- Add the chopped onion and garlic to the olive oil, cooking for 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken to stockpot, along with the salt and black pepper. Brown for 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock, vegetables, and spices to the pot.
- Drain the water from the barley. Add the barley to the soup.
- Let the soup boil for 30 minutes on medium heat.
Nutritional Value for One-Cup of Soup:
Total Fat: 3 g
Saturated Fat: 0.5 g
Total Carbohydrates: 14.5 g
Fiber: 3 g
Protein: 11 g
Sodium: 200 mg
Cholesterol: 24 mg
Thanks Tosca for another great recipe!
For a printable version click HERE.