Friday, May 14, 2010

Products in Review: Raw Protein


 When I went to my doctor last week she suggested I make a big change in the amount of protein I was consuming. To do this she said I needed to drink 3 Green Smoothies a day. Now I like my Green Smoothies, but 3 a day? I felt like I was on green overload! I went to Henry's for my spinach in super bulk. As I was perusing the supplement aisle, I noticed Garden of Life's Raw Protein was on sale. Yippee! I grabbed a container of it and brought it home to experiment.

Well, it's fabulous! Here's the scoop on it:

Vegan
Gluten Free
Dairy Free
No Soy Allergens
Live Probiotics and Enzymes
Vitamins A, D, E & K
Raw Organic Sprouts
18 Grams of Protein per serving
RAW

This is a very versatile protein because it's taste is very neutral. I would not suggest just mixing it with water or juice, that would be gross. I prefer all of my protein in smoothies and this one works perfectly for that.

Because I am Raw/Vegan I don't get many grains in my diet. I like the fact that this product has 14 different Raw, organic sprouts. The added benefit of the live enzymes and probiotics means it goes through your system quickly. The whole goal of the Raw lifestyle is quick digestion and this meets my needs.

Here are the three of my favorite ways I use it:

Green Smoothie

8 oz. almond milk
4 oz. water
1/3 cup frozen cherries
1 scoop Raw Protein Powder
3 cups spinach
1 Tbsp. Maca (optional)
1 Tbsp. Green Powder (optional)
Ice


Chocolate Protein Shake

12 oz. almond milk
1 Tbsp cacao powder
1 Tbsp. agave nectar
1 scoop Raw Protein Powder
Ice

Cherry Protein Shake

12 oz. almond milk
3/4 cup frozen cherries
1 scoop Raw Protein Powder
1/2 Tbsp agave
Ice

I usually drink my green smoothie after I workout then I eat either a Raw bar or fruit for a snack about 2 hours later. At lunch I drink another green smoothie then have my chocolate shake about 2 hours after lunch. My dinner as of late has been a salad.

I found it for $29.96 on Amazon with free shipping. It has 28 servings. $1 a day, cheaper than Starbuck's!

Nicole

10 comments:

Yours in Fitness said...

Hi Nicole,

While I have the fitness piece down pat, I look forward to catching up on your blog and making wiser nutrition choices. I'll have to check out the Raw Protein. Thanks for the recommendation.

Maria

Anonymous said...

The Raw Protein isn't bad, but for a complete nutrition solution you should check out Shakeology. Don't take my word for it - do your research, but you can thank me later. go to shakeology.com/debmdale for info.

Best,
Debbie

TheFitnessFreak said...

I'm a Raw/Vegan Debbie so I can't use Shakeology. I have heard good things about it though : )

Lizzie M. said...

I just ordered it, thanks for the review!!!

shannonmarie said...

I'm trying to test out more proteins lately, too. I really need them while breastfeeding. Usually, hemp is my choice, but I finally tried Sun Warrior this week (good, but it doesn't seem any different than the less expensive rice proteins I've had in the past). I need to check this one out, as well.

TheFitnessFreak said...

Lizzie M., Let me know how you like it!

Shannon Marie, My sister tried the Sun Warrior and said it tasted like stinky feet. I was a bit nervous trying this one for that reason. Glad to tell you it doesn't taste like feet : ) Very neutral which is good.

Nicole

Sharanya said...

Nicole;
just been thinking about this and sun warrior and u post this.Thank you,def going to give this a shot.what protein does it have mainly?(my son has pea allergies)trying to get one brand for all if I can!!!LOL..
sharanya

scrapwordsmom said...

Your shakes sound good...I'm curious...do you taste the spinach much in the smoothies? Probably a silly question but I don't like the taste of spinach:)

Saw you use almond milk. I started using that a month ago and will NEVER go back to milk again!! It is DELICIOUS! I have never enjoyed milk but used it on my cereal...a friend told me about almond milk and it is great with my fruit and Fiber One cereal.

Nicole, I appreciate you stopping by my blog and leaving such nice comments! And that is crazy that you have been to Legends...small world!!!:)

Have a great day!

TheFitnessFreak said...

Sharanya, The main protein is brown rice followed by beans and sprouts. You'll really like it!

Leslie, I'm so used to it I don't taste the spinach. If you add different kinds of berries or citrus it changes the flavor too. Just play around with it until you find a combination that masks the spinach flavor. Almond milk IS the best : ) I love your blog. It is very encouraging and thought provoking, my favorite kind : )

Megan said...

found it! :) thanks for sharing Nicole :) I tried green smoothies a couple months back and really enjoyed packing in all those nutrients with the spinach...as long as you can mask the spinach taste, you're good to go! keep up the hard work with the new diet :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin