Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Workouts in Review: Keeping Fit with Andrea Metcalf


Andrea Metcalf has been sharing her love of health and fitness for almost thirty years. She is an energetic trainer who loves what she does and it shows! What I love about Andrea is that she has stellar form which is so important for building your muscles properly. She has been featured on Good Morning America as well as The Today Show and is also a contributor to Oprah's website. Her book Naked Fitness, a 28-Day Weight Loss program, is due out this winter.

Andrea's latest workout series, Keeping Fit, includes three workouts: Strength, Cardio and Pilates. It is being released today, yeah! Today I will review the Strength DVD.

Strength is 50-minutes in length and is a total body workout. Andrea incorporates upper and lower body moves together which also uses your core. Yep, you get to work your whole body in one well-balanced routine!

Here's the breakdown:

Warm-up (6 min.)
Squats w/ biceps curls
Squats w/ overhead press
Side Lunge w/ single arm row
Biceps Curls
Repeat
Narow Stance Front Squat plus Rear Lunge w/ double arm row and overhead press
Shoulder Circles
Curtsy w/ side lateral raise and biceps curl
Curtsy w/ one arm row
Biceps Curls
Repeat
Side Lateral Raise
Shoulder Press
Front Angle Raise
Wide Shoulder Press
Rear Flys
Repeat
Biceps Curls
Moving Tree Pose
Front Leg Extension
Rear Leg Raise
Rotating Shoulder Raise
Warrior 3 into shoulder raise
Inner/ Outer Thigh Strengthener w/ shoulder rotations
Repeat
Calf Raises
Plie Squats w/ shoulder circles
Plie Squats w/ rotator cuff work
Repeat 2x on each side
Plank Work w/ one arm row
Side Plank w/ triceps extension and side raise
Plank w/ knee-in
Child's Pose
Repeat 2x on each side
Bridge Glute Work
One Leg Bridge Glute Work
Cool Down and Stretch

Whew, that was a lot of moves! I really enjoyed doing this workout! My heart rate went up, I broke a sweat and I felt the burn in my muscles, all good things : ) I really enjoyed the shoulder work because it incorporates quite a few rotator cuff exercises. Rotator cuffs are a must to keep strong, especially as we age, and this routine will definitely help with that. This workout is tabbed for those exercisers in their 40's, 50's and beyond but seriously, it's great for everyone. I let my mother-in-law borrow the series and she really enjoyed it. She is in her late 50's and exercises regularly so this was right up her alley. I would recommend it to those of you who workout regularly as it is fast paced in some areas. Andrea does give some modifications but not enough that I think this workout is for a beginner.

Hop on over to Acacia and pick up a copy for yourself!

I will be reviewing the Pilates and Cardio workouts over the next few days so stay tuned!!

Nicole

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I would love to get my mom this video! Thanks for the review!

Jen said...

How do you think this and the Cathe workouts compare to Insanity? I sooo want to try something else, but I'm afraid it won't be as good.

TheFitnessFreak said...

Cathe and this workout are night and day! This is a light weight, endurance workout and good for general fitness. Cathe gives Shaun T. a run for his money, she's awesome! Her latest DVD's are due out in a few weeks and I'm SO excited!

Anonymous said...

hi!This was a really wonderful post!
I come from milan, I was fortunate to search your theme in wordpress
Also I get a lot in your subject really thanks very much i will come every day

scrapwordsmom said...

Nicole...I am always on the lookout for this type of video. With my neck issues I can't use much weight but I could even get a workout with light weights and variety using this. Thanks for the review!!

I appreciate your support of my blog, btw. I always smile when I see you have stopped by!!

Leslie

shannonmarie said...

I was surprised to see an October post from you, but it is good to know you are slowing down. Hope you are enjoying more of your free time. I still am.

Did you know I think about you sometimes when I'm working out? I try to mix things up with various workouts from the OnDemand function (Exercise TV) of our cable service. When I try something new, I wonder how you'd rate it. Right now, I'm enjoying Jillian Michael's Yoga Meltdown. It is perfect for me, as it is both relaxing and calorie-burning (Jillian turns everything into a cardio workout).

TheFitnessFreak said...

I'm so glad I can be your imaginary workout buddy : ) That is a great Yoga DVD! She does a good job of making it challenging and fun.

Yes, I'm enjoying the computer not being the center of my universe, glad you are too :D

Nicole

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin