I am LOVING Tosca Reno's Eat Clean Diet Cookbook! I have tried several of the recipes this week and they have all been a hit with my hubby and boys. They're a hard sell so I was excited at the response. I tried out the bran muffins today and they went over really well. Seconds for all the boys, yeah!
These are called "ever-ready" because the batter stays good in the refrigerator for up to 6 weeks. The great thing is that you can mix these up and have them ready at all times for a quick snack. Make sure to add the optional additions just before you bake them, it's best that they don't stay in the batter for a long period of time. The full recipe makes 40 muffins, I made 1/2 the recipe and it was plenty for my family.
4 cups whole wheat flour, Power Flour(see recipe below) or other whole-grain flour
4 cups natural bran (I used wheat bran)
4 tsp. baking soda
4 Tbsp. flaxseed
2 tsp. sea salt
1 cup Sucanat or rapadura sugar
4 cups buttermilk
1-1/2 cups unsweetened applesauce
3 egg whites + 1 whole egg, well beaten (I used 1 whole egg & 1 egg white when I halved the recipe.)
1. Preheat oven to 425 degreesOptional Additions- 1 cup total: chopped dried fruit, nuts, shredded carrots or apple, coconut or combination thereof. You can also add 2 tsp. or to taste of apple pie spice (see below).
2. Prepare muffin tin by lining with paper or silicone cups or by spraying with natural non-stick spray.
3. Combine all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
4. Combine all wet ingredients in a medium mixing bowl.
5. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix JUST until combined. Do NOT over mix! Add optional additions and fold in.
6. spoon batter into prepared muffin cups until 3/4 full.
7. Place in hot oven and bake for 15 minutes or until golden.
8. Remove from oven and let cool on wire rack.
Calories: 107 Protein: 4 g Total Fat: 1 g Fiber: 3 g Sugar: 7 g Sodium: 268 mg
1/4 cup barley flour
1/4 cup brown rice flour
1/4 cup amaranth flour
1/4 cup spelt flour
1/4 cup kamut flour
1/4 cup unbleached whole-wheat flour
Apple Pie Spice:
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp. cardamom
Click HERE for a printable version.
Hey, go check out Averie's blog! She's having a Bora Bora Bar giveaway, yippee!