Wednesday, January 4, 2012
Clean Eating Recipe of the Week: Pasta with Kale, Caramelized Onions, and Parsnips
Kale is one of my favorite veggies! I eat it most everyday and I often have it in my green juice. Here is a great recipe that makes working kale into your diet possible : ) Enjoy!
• 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
• 3 cups diagonally, thinly cut(about 1/4") parsnip (about 1 pound)
• 2 1/2 cups sliced onion (about 1 large)
• 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
• 4 garlic cloves, chopped
• 1/2 cup dry white wine
• 8 cups trimmed and chopped lacinato/ dinosaur kale (about 3 bunches)
• 1/2 cup organic low-sodium vegetable broth
• 8 ounces uncooked whole grain penne pasta
• 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, divided
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add parsnip to pan; cook 12 minutes or until tender and browned, stirring occasionally. Place in a large bowl; keep warm.
2. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in pan over medium-low heat. Add onion to pan; cook 20 minutes or until tender and golden brown, stirring occasionally. Stir in thyme and garlic; cook 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add wine; cook 3 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates. Stir in kale and broth; cook, covered, 5 minutes or until kale is tender. Uncover; cook 4 minutes or until kale is very tender, stirring occasionally.
3. Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain pasta in a sieve over a bowl, reserving 3/4 cup cooking liquid. Add drained pasta to kale mixture. Stir in parsnips, 1/2 cup reserved cooking liquid, 1/4 cup cheese, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper; cook for 1 minute or until thoroughly heated. Add remaining 1/4 cup cooking liquid if needed to moisten. Top with remaining 1/4 cup cheese. Serves 6